Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Fuel-Free Oceanic Shipping - a couple of side notes

I've gotten just a bit of feedback so far on the idea for combining sailing ship technology from the late 1800's with solar cloth and hydrogen electrolysis or battery technologies from the modern era in order to create an emissions-free oceanic shipping industry. (You can read that post at http://www.whizzyrds.com/2008/02/dhl-completes-more-eco-friendly-ship.html )

Basically, the response was, "patent that idea before someone else does." This is coming from a long-time aerospace engineer whose estimation of the idea I trust.

The thing is, my stepson is graduating in May as a patent attorney. It's my understanding that my public disclosure of the idea here on this blog renders it un-patentable and subject to public domain - meaning any shipping company could use the idea freely, provided there is no patent prior to my disclosure. I've queried my stepson via e-mail, if he tells me different, I'll so advise.

Personally, I'd rather get rid of shipping emissions than be filthy rich. Given a choice, I'll take both, but if it's an either-or proposition, I'll take habitability of the planet for our grandchildren and beyond first.

Regards,

Dan

No comments: